do no harm:


idit dobb-weinstein: "teaching is action and thinking at once. What I try to guard against most when I teach is not speaking as if my answer were conclusive, so as to avoid (to the extent possible) any kind of dogmatic appropriation. It is understandable why students might wish to imitate their teachers, but there are different modes of imitation. I try very hard to avoid the mimetic appropriation that is immediate, passive, and occludes thinking. One other reason is that if I made clear what my views were, and my views appeared as if they were final, it would preclude the possibility of first, students challenging me and second, learning from my students. The relation between the student and teacher is, to me, a dynamic relationship . . . Teaching and learning is a movement that occurs between. In other words, we are at once both agent and patient, both teacher and learner. If we are not very careful, we can do a great deal of harm. And that, too, I have learned from my teachers, Maimonides especially.

I believe my task is to provoke students to think and to engage them in genuine dialogue and questioning. To paraphrase a rabbinic saying, 'I have learned from my teachers, and I have learned from my peers, but I have learned most from my students.' And that is a continuous process of learning."

Wednesday 26 May 2010

now i don't necessarily endorse the personal way

now i don't necessarily endorse the personal way this is said.  but what i like is that fink notices the double standard of free speech for sexism, but zero speech for women.

i might say it differently.

he wrote me this afternoon:

"This guy is a hypocrite and a coward. Let's see he can hide behind the First Amendment so can spew his sexist speech but you don't have the same First Amendment right to speak about what you find objectionable about his speech. He is a real tough guy when he corners a student and threatens her with the pain of suspension from exercising her rights but when the student retains a lawyer and challenges his legal right to censor the students speech he gets riles up, spews nonsense (jump in a pool) and then clams up."


listen to the mp4 of the coercive "mandatory" meeting with threatened suspension.  sorry about my long introduction.

the main highlights:
eckford
main points:
1.  you are inappropriate
2.  you do not have a PHD
3.  you have to stop activity online and writing

they said some funny things---like---all a teacher has is their reputation, so if it is damaged ....

they are so funny because on the one hand they defend the use of the language---but if i report it they are totally humiliated and embarrassed 


i really want fink to represent sheila dharod v. LACC ASO.

they need to start shaking in their boots for what they've done.

we could call it the karma defense fund.

and fundraise to support students speech rights and protection from discrimination.



make a foundation to support students and make a progressive campus.

No comments: