do no harm:


idit dobb-weinstein: "teaching is action and thinking at once. What I try to guard against most when I teach is not speaking as if my answer were conclusive, so as to avoid (to the extent possible) any kind of dogmatic appropriation. It is understandable why students might wish to imitate their teachers, but there are different modes of imitation. I try very hard to avoid the mimetic appropriation that is immediate, passive, and occludes thinking. One other reason is that if I made clear what my views were, and my views appeared as if they were final, it would preclude the possibility of first, students challenging me and second, learning from my students. The relation between the student and teacher is, to me, a dynamic relationship . . . Teaching and learning is a movement that occurs between. In other words, we are at once both agent and patient, both teacher and learner. If we are not very careful, we can do a great deal of harm. And that, too, I have learned from my teachers, Maimonides especially.

I believe my task is to provoke students to think and to engage them in genuine dialogue and questioning. To paraphrase a rabbinic saying, 'I have learned from my teachers, and I have learned from my peers, but I have learned most from my students.' And that is a continuous process of learning."

Tuesday 16 November 2010

"C" is for corruption . . .

Dear Cristy Passman, ombudsman for discrimination and harassment at Los Angeles City College,
Office of Civil Rights, 

I have not yet received the graded Islamophobia Anthropology project and Final exam for which you and Bartelt gave/defend my grade of "C."

I acknowledge that you do not contend that this poor grade was retaliation for my concern regarding sexism in the classroom.

I received an "A" in biological anthropology which involved a lot of memorization in January 2010.

I studied for Cultural Anthropology  beyond thoroughly and  printed my extensive Islamophobia project.

As I previously requested, will you give me my final course work?

I printed and turned in my entire blogged notes and multiple drafts and copious research and would like this material back, along with my final exam.

I recognize that you do not agree that a "hostile atmosphere" contributed to grade retaliation or student performance.

I would however like "proof" of my poor performance and the grading method.  I wrote to you about this months ago.  You have ignored me.

I hope Bartelt has not destroyed the evidence, as he alleged he would burn our printed final projects in his back yard.

I was denied my final presentation to the class on multiple days, which i allege was from a mixture of misogyny and Islamophobia, issues which concern me greatly.

My new mailing address is

@@@

please provide

#1 an adequate response/excuse/alibi

(your previous excuses were based on Bartelt's lies)

#2 my coursework proving my "C"

recall, that Sociology department chair Eckford attempted to eject me from this class altogether and cursed at Keith Fink who spoke in my defense

you may call me at 
@

please let me know by email that you are obtaining the documents and sending them in the mail.

if upon valuation you might notice the quality of my work, then perhaps you can explain the "C" to me as truly what it was:
retaliation for exercise of my rights to free speech in defense of a non-hostile atmosphere and equality in education

thank you!
mary eng
copy: fink

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you're going to post an angry rant about an institute of higher education online, you should at least learn how to speak English first. If your papers were as incomprehensible as this website then I’m rather surprised that your grade was as high as a C. You really need an education and ranting about the only school that would accept you only shows your ignorance.