do no harm:


idit dobb-weinstein: "teaching is action and thinking at once. What I try to guard against most when I teach is not speaking as if my answer were conclusive, so as to avoid (to the extent possible) any kind of dogmatic appropriation. It is understandable why students might wish to imitate their teachers, but there are different modes of imitation. I try very hard to avoid the mimetic appropriation that is immediate, passive, and occludes thinking. One other reason is that if I made clear what my views were, and my views appeared as if they were final, it would preclude the possibility of first, students challenging me and second, learning from my students. The relation between the student and teacher is, to me, a dynamic relationship . . . Teaching and learning is a movement that occurs between. In other words, we are at once both agent and patient, both teacher and learner. If we are not very careful, we can do a great deal of harm. And that, too, I have learned from my teachers, Maimonides especially.

I believe my task is to provoke students to think and to engage them in genuine dialogue and questioning. To paraphrase a rabbinic saying, 'I have learned from my teachers, and I have learned from my peers, but I have learned most from my students.' And that is a continuous process of learning."

Wednesday 21 April 2010

re: missing anthropology to go hang out with my awesomely respectful dentist

i heard teacher called me out as the person who could have benefitted most from his gendered language speech exercise.

as though i had not read anything regarding this phenomenon.
or taken semesters of philosophy and feminist philosophy
or read piles of books on the subject.

i felt that being absent would allow him to diffuse his anger in safety, far from my observation.
in speaking to scott clapson today, i realize nothing.
scott wants me to go to school early to check in.

re: the dentist:  i would rather listen to drills drilling on my face than come to class today.

scott will write a letter of defense for teach first.  i told it him think its awesome, that i wanted to spark a discussion.

all the things i said in my email already, scott thinks i should say in person.

but scott doesn't understand what its like to be a woman and deal with all this hate all our whole lives.

i turned in my paperwork to christie passman's office today.
despite knowing she will do little, a little is better than nothing.

i can't imagine being a grown man called into a grown woman's office for shouting "tits and ass" at another grown woman.

it sounds surreal.

i would never put myself in that position.
i duplicated my files and sent them to sacramento.
they will have to write me back, and tell me why they think women should shut up and take it, just like last time, when i complained about lewis, lanzer, and vargas.

so roll call.
meeting with earic peters soon.

jay cortez ASO VP candidate is excited about videostreaming for disability rights.  he knows about all the ivy league schools broadcasting class.
hooray an ally.

sheila and gene fernandez helped me file a time request to speak at the next ASO meeting about equality and harassment.

scott clapson told me rodriguez in sociology uses the word spik.
i don't know what it means.
but i think its offensive.

andrea bari told me lewis was screaming at a student outside the cafe, the adult student being stephen stapleton who was requesting a list pertaining to the veteran's student group.
andrea was shocked to see lewis in the face of a student raising his voice.

the ASO has turned lynch mob against sheila.
it is really creepy how the men around here can't stand it when women talk or have ideas.  they throw major temper tantrums.

the last time i went to the legal association it was a big time waste complete with polystyrene cups and a disgusting meaty pizza party and a muti-level marketing speaker, who while being a nice person, had no legal info per se, other than suggesting we buy a monthly prepaid legal service.  a good idea.

so when the clubs become so thick with their own bureaucracy i wonder why it is they don't listen to some good ideas.
but they are just kids too!!!!

all the whole world is made of people looking for meaning.
when i told scott i cried all weekend and am missing classes and tests bc my nerves are frayed by the condescending tone of some of these profs . . .
well he started to understand . . .

i heard lanzer has had students quit his class bc he keeps asking them out.
two different names came up.
i actually have nothing against teachers dating adult students.
but if its not mutual, and class is in session, its pretty creepy to make people feel so uncomfortable.

awesomely its denim day.
rape.
i even told the tits and ass prof about how hard it is to deal with rape.
he probably didnt even read my letter, or process the info.
i made a little denim day video i will burn to DVD.
i think i should make a bunch.
so happy i didn't miss the deadline.

i guess the sad thing about class, is that the whole political imapct of CEDAW and LAPD rape kit DNA evidence human rights failure, would make such a better class than tits and tits and tits and ass.

but i'll try to fit that in my presentation.

i'm dreading going to class.
should i wear earplugs and a blindfold?
isn't that how they trick an animal led to slaughter?

and that my grants and loans make me a bit of a financial prisoner to this fake school swindle.
i know LACC is in a sense a bit of a dead end job.
i loved my property law test and real estate law test.

plus i filed my labor law reports to both sacramento and LA offices of DLSE.
that's a separate crusade, the sexual harassment at work.

and then christy passman will walk in on my excellent memo under her door tomorrow.
i think i should make copies of my complaints and scan them or pass them around.
i actually want to carry the blank complaint forms with me, so every time people tell me about their harassment, i can hook them up with the do-nothing bureaucracy so they can feel really depressed.

i remember the hope i felt when i thought that somebody would say, "i am so sorry.  this will never happen again.  we will do everything in our power to protect your civil rights and  punish the offenders."

how depressing to realize equality is a big joke at LACC.
and guess who's getting the last laugh.
the hetero white man.
on a campus this diverse.

the amazing guy at the cafe says i should take it to the LA TIMES.
what a great idea.

No comments: