do no harm:


idit dobb-weinstein: "teaching is action and thinking at once. What I try to guard against most when I teach is not speaking as if my answer were conclusive, so as to avoid (to the extent possible) any kind of dogmatic appropriation. It is understandable why students might wish to imitate their teachers, but there are different modes of imitation. I try very hard to avoid the mimetic appropriation that is immediate, passive, and occludes thinking. One other reason is that if I made clear what my views were, and my views appeared as if they were final, it would preclude the possibility of first, students challenging me and second, learning from my students. The relation between the student and teacher is, to me, a dynamic relationship . . . Teaching and learning is a movement that occurs between. In other words, we are at once both agent and patient, both teacher and learner. If we are not very careful, we can do a great deal of harm. And that, too, I have learned from my teachers, Maimonides especially.

I believe my task is to provoke students to think and to engage them in genuine dialogue and questioning. To paraphrase a rabbinic saying, 'I have learned from my teachers, and I have learned from my peers, but I have learned most from my students.' And that is a continuous process of learning."

Tuesday 20 April 2010

writing gene fernandez who is running for ASO president asking him to put equality and an end to harassment on campus at the top of his campaign platform!


so happy to have his support!!!!


today's correspondence:









dear gene, there were witnesses
forty people heard him shout "tits and ass"
my classmates will verify
bartelt in anthropology also talks about the asshole hypothesis, getting laid, and why margaret thatcher is a man

and then thirty people heard lanzer (paralegal dept) say
a woman could make more money as a slut than paralegal
other people were there

he also spoke of dumb woman, and horrible woman

lewis in the legal dept wasted the entire semester talking about hookers and prostitutes
and treated my freind talissa extra insulting.   she is a woman of color.

both the head of the legal department and christie passman are making the lame excuse,
oh they are just trying to be funny.

i dont think its funny.

thank you for taking me seriously.

i really appreciate your support.

and because it seems like you really care, i will help you in any way i can!!!
i have my blog and my videostream.
what i think is next is that i need to either flyer the campus and or host a public forum discussion group, or present at ASO more in depth, at least ten minutes or so.

the ACLU club leader vasquez says mexicans were insulted in a class.
islamophobic staff members have insulted women under the veil.

the more people we can get to come forward the better.

i started a formal complaint process last year.
it gives a slap on the wrist to the professor.

i think we as students should rise up and say this is not enough.

our lives and futures and finances are on the line.
the school is getting sued.
we deserve better.

thank you for caring
i can't wait to meet and discuss this.
i have a renewed faith that we can actually do something.
a coalition of hardworking passionate people who want to make a better future for young people!!!!

does ASO meet tomorrow?
see you soon call me any time

mary eng








From: gene fernandez
To: mary eng
Sent: Tue, April 20, 2010 3:58:17 PM
Subject: Re: The LACC book rental program is underway...

What is this professor doing that is absurd towards women? Find out if
anyone else in your class feels the same way and we can build a case
towards your cause. Without empirical evidence or a witness it will be
very hard for you to complain about this professor.

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM, mary eng <maryeng1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://thereallacc.blogspot.com/
> sorry gene
> what about you run on a platform of no more harassment of women and
> minorities
> tell me why not
> ________________________________
> From: gene fernandez <janvin1988@gmail.com>
> To: mary eng <maryeng1@yahoo.com>
> Sent: Tue, April 20, 2010 1:57:48 PM
> Subject: Re: The LACC book rental program is underway...
>
> Watch what?
>
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:23 AM, mary eng <maryeng1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> watch this
>> and tell me what you think
>> about women getting harassed by professors
>> please give me a response.
>> i need yr help.

No comments: