do no harm:


idit dobb-weinstein: "teaching is action and thinking at once. What I try to guard against most when I teach is not speaking as if my answer were conclusive, so as to avoid (to the extent possible) any kind of dogmatic appropriation. It is understandable why students might wish to imitate their teachers, but there are different modes of imitation. I try very hard to avoid the mimetic appropriation that is immediate, passive, and occludes thinking. One other reason is that if I made clear what my views were, and my views appeared as if they were final, it would preclude the possibility of first, students challenging me and second, learning from my students. The relation between the student and teacher is, to me, a dynamic relationship . . . Teaching and learning is a movement that occurs between. In other words, we are at once both agent and patient, both teacher and learner. If we are not very careful, we can do a great deal of harm. And that, too, I have learned from my teachers, Maimonides especially.

I believe my task is to provoke students to think and to engage them in genuine dialogue and questioning. To paraphrase a rabbinic saying, 'I have learned from my teachers, and I have learned from my peers, but I have learned most from my students.' And that is a continuous process of learning."

Tuesday 18 May 2010

at least LACC doesn't taser us!

duffy is amazing!!!!!

i cherish these classes!!!!

learning all about the civil rts act!!!

[1984] is amazing too---when it comes to the economy and globalization.  too bad he shut down broadcasts and doesn't like the blogosphere.

watching a few classes would change the way you shop, vote, bank, eat.  now all the highlighting of those egregious moments, have prompted a change.  it is a perceptible change.   and i bet he will be an even more amazing teacher in 30 years.  and that learning to respect women in the classroom could happen at any age, and the sooner the better.    it is because he is a great teacher that he is worth the time to fine-tune the kinks.  thats what yelp and ratemyprof etc are all about.  youtube.

too bad he doesn't like the internet.

i thought with him being young he would be hip to the web.  well i sort of hoped.

check this footage: UCLA security tasering a handcuffed student in 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCLA_Taser_incident

(send sargeant Pfeiffer a thank you note for not tasering you [if you are from the middle east] on campus!!!!!  now you love LACC!!!! can you believe this?????  tasering at UCLA!!!!)

RIP
LACC student executed by LAPD for autism or existing or whatever . . .
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/03/man-fatally-shot-in-confrontation-with-police-near-koreatown.html

from LAT:

Man shot dead in confrontation with police near Koreatown
March 20, 2010 |  1:26 pm
A Los Angeles police officer shot a man to death early Saturday morning east of Koreatown.
Police said the shooting occurred around midnight but they did not have any further information.
-- Jessica Garrison
Shoot first, ask questions later?

Posted by: Tom | March 20, 2010 at 07:52 PM











Steven was a wonderful guy who I met when I took my public speaking class at Los Angeles City College. I remember the first day of class how surprised I was that despite what some may see as a disability, he had the courage to stand up and introduce himself and tell his story. During his cultural narrative speech he talked inspiringly about not making excuses and finding away to to accomplish your goals. It was more than moving and I'm glad he was a part of the class.
I don't know what happen during this incident and I won't pretend to. i just know he was the most gentle and friendly guy. With communication being what he was supposed to be the worst at, he fought hard to be an excellent speaker. Thanks for those memories, Steven!
Tony
Posted by: Jones | March 20, 2010 at 08:57 PM


schoolplaces can  be crime scenes.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anushay-hossain/murder-in-jeffersons-vill_b_566424.html
http://www.readthehook.com/blog/index.php/2010/05/11/dangerous-rage-what-compelled-huguely-to-attack/

murder on a campus back east.

all the anger and hate i saw at ASO actually really scares me.

i don't think we here at city college are going to taser and murder each other.  cross your fingers.

but this stuff is worth being careful.


when passions run high, it is better not to insult each other.  all the slurs and back biting, i think come from personal issues, or economic woes, or deep-seated trauma.

i don't think anyone on campus really hates women, or sheila dharod.  i think they are just projecting their negative feelings about their self-esteem or their past bad relationship, onto particular victims, women in general, minorities, or whoever else is the recipient of hate.

i don't think a confident happy person would attack someone so viciously.  or go along with it like jay cortez and gene fernandez did at the ASO.

 so 1984.

verbal abuse lasts a lifetime.
i for one have a great memory.   if you are going to insult me or talk down to me, i will remember it forever.

that's why we should be nice and peaceful to each other.   every time i see the ASO people i say "stop the hate" and "peace and kindness" and such things.

i don't feel like i can have a conversation with the people who i witnessed engage in a vicious mob attack against sheila.

i feel a bad energy cloud.  a little shaky just thinking about it.  it impairs my feeling of safety.   mad dogs with blood on their fangs.
i am soooooooooo glad its on youtube.

true they didn't taser sheila and put her in handcuffs.  but they staged a mob attack.  gosh it hurts me that they would do this to anyone, woman or man, from any background.

i am soooooooo sensitive about racism.  i saw police beating a man in tennessee when i was seven.  racial profiling and public beatings.

why can't we just love one another?

the days are too long for hatred.

the office of civil rights federal division is about to start their investigation when i get my release back to them.

i wonder if anyone at the American Bar Association cares that all the professors of the paralegal department rolled over and played dead while a paralegal student in our program was harassed, defamed, and humiliated in violation of fed and state law and ASO process.

duffy witnessed it.

he knows the rules that were broken by the ASO.

i wish he could come forward.

i bet he can't jeopardize his salary.

vargas acts like he doesn't know what's going on.

that's smart.

so i sent my letter to the american bar association because i think a paralegal program should have an outstanding level of ethicality when it comes to ensure that all students regardless of gender or background.

and professor harassment doesn't help.  nor do professors who role over and play dead when a woman is burned at the stake for exposing administration and student corruption.

viva the internet!!!!!!

No comments: