do no harm:


idit dobb-weinstein: "teaching is action and thinking at once. What I try to guard against most when I teach is not speaking as if my answer were conclusive, so as to avoid (to the extent possible) any kind of dogmatic appropriation. It is understandable why students might wish to imitate their teachers, but there are different modes of imitation. I try very hard to avoid the mimetic appropriation that is immediate, passive, and occludes thinking. One other reason is that if I made clear what my views were, and my views appeared as if they were final, it would preclude the possibility of first, students challenging me and second, learning from my students. The relation between the student and teacher is, to me, a dynamic relationship . . . Teaching and learning is a movement that occurs between. In other words, we are at once both agent and patient, both teacher and learner. If we are not very careful, we can do a great deal of harm. And that, too, I have learned from my teachers, Maimonides especially.

I believe my task is to provoke students to think and to engage them in genuine dialogue and questioning. To paraphrase a rabbinic saying, 'I have learned from my teachers, and I have learned from my peers, but I have learned most from my students.' And that is a continuous process of learning."

Friday 7 May 2010

best of ratemyprofessors.com

ratemyprofessors censors the word "sexist" so writing these little haikus is an artform.
my most recent review is under review.

nevertheless, it is pretty entertaining, especially if you know who is getting the review.

i realize that the negativity towards christians might be contagious.
when you hang out with negative people it rubs off.
i don't want to absorb the bad language and hatefulness . . .
so here is the best of ratemyprofessors, based on teachers i find noteworthy . . .

re:lanzer

In his interpersonal interactions with students he is on the bias(in detriment to our grades?),despondent, disparaging&contemptuous among other prejudices.On the bright side he may . . . in time, if he choses to-benefit from his subordinate's superior quality skills in human relations.With hope and prayers.Do you have time?

Very nice man although a bit bitter over his divorce and women altogether. Also very funny and extremely helpful. He is also not hard on the eyes. I would suggest his class to anyone, not too demanding, just get your reading done.

re: bartelt:

Knows the subject but can be biased. He tells students never to put down others culture or religions but he always talks smack about Christians. Although I'm an agnostic its really not cool when he talks smack about others. Other than that he moves through the material fast but his test are straight forward and he prepares you for the tests.

I did not like Anthro before taking his class. Yes, he does come off negative and treat students like they have learning disabilities... But he has found a way to completely intrigue students, very passionate about subject. Just don't miss class a lot on tests is from class notes. Not so difficult once you get into it. I completely recommend him.

First day of class I really thought I was going to like this guy; he's hip and out there etc., whatever, and has lived an interesting life. I loved and still love listening to his personal anecdotes. With that said, he can be condescending and rude like someone mentioned, so it's hard for me (personally) to approach him and ask questions. Caution!

great teacher. you cat argue against that point logically. if you dont like him then you got offended by something he said about religion or something similar. he breaks everything down perfectly, but you need to take great notes and give 100% effort. great teacher if you want to learn and open minded bad if your super religious aka close minded.

re:duffy:

(sorry  about duffy hitting on a student, but if its true it may support my theory that his 1950's style sexist humor is out-of -touch and not to mention his homophobic feelings about gay marriage as it relates to property law)

I'm taking his class currently and his *** was hitting on me. Also his class is really . . .

re:richard lewis (who amazingly has some raving fans):

Lazy, lazy, lazy... but an easy A

This professor truly shows how unprepared an instructor can be. I had a great expectation prior to the class and he totally turned my interest down. He rarely uses the textbook, missed 3 classes so far, and gives idiotic, horrible lecture which many times its not even related to the topic.

This class was a VERY easy A, but a complete waste of time.

re: cabellero:

(i took him last summer and while he knows criminal law well, he often made sexist jokes, or picked on individuals)

He is very strict and tough but is ok pokes fun at people

I dropped my major because of him. He was the only teacher that taught all the admin. classes. He thinks he is a comedian and a stud. He is a total moron. He is also a chauvinistic pig which, I called him on, in class.

Well he has finally lost all control. now he not only talks about the raiders but his **** drinking problem. He gets more pitiful every semester

He likes to intimidate students, threaten them and put them down.

Caballero just came across as a very difficult person and it seemed like he was trying to intimidate everyone into dropping the class. I wasn't initimidated, but have better things to do with my time. I dropped the class immediately.

No comments: