do no harm:


idit dobb-weinstein: "teaching is action and thinking at once. What I try to guard against most when I teach is not speaking as if my answer were conclusive, so as to avoid (to the extent possible) any kind of dogmatic appropriation. It is understandable why students might wish to imitate their teachers, but there are different modes of imitation. I try very hard to avoid the mimetic appropriation that is immediate, passive, and occludes thinking. One other reason is that if I made clear what my views were, and my views appeared as if they were final, it would preclude the possibility of first, students challenging me and second, learning from my students. The relation between the student and teacher is, to me, a dynamic relationship . . . Teaching and learning is a movement that occurs between. In other words, we are at once both agent and patient, both teacher and learner. If we are not very careful, we can do a great deal of harm. And that, too, I have learned from my teachers, Maimonides especially.

I believe my task is to provoke students to think and to engage them in genuine dialogue and questioning. To paraphrase a rabbinic saying, 'I have learned from my teachers, and I have learned from my peers, but I have learned most from my students.' And that is a continuous process of learning."

Wednesday 5 May 2010



sorry the footage is so boring . . .
ASO hate campaign

explanation from youtube comments:
administrators endorsed and support the discriminatory hate campaign against sheila dharod.
the administration of LACC protects harassing professors as well as student government harassment campaigns and personal character attacks.
i am deeply saddened to have witnessed this monkey court torture us with their lack of reasoning, insubstantial "evidence," and poor communication skills.
this campaign of hatefulness and negativity directed at sheila dharod will reflect poorly upon on persons who gathered to support this spectacle of public humiliation.
joseph tolle also took the time to personally scream at me under the election tent. several people witnessed this. that he vehemently spoke against sheila, while never apologizing to me discourages my faith in his integrity.
scott clapson went to great lengths to create the bizarre "impeachment" proceedings. gene fernandez spoke about how sheila is not the "type" of person they want in student government.
let it be known i would never hang out with people so hateful and cruel if it were not so entertaining.
i also find it offensive that they are using tax money, school property, and administrative time to create their hate mischief.

i question also the integrity of dean earic peters for allowing this to go on.
while future ASO president Lopez is apologetic in public, despite supporting the hate campaign, i implicitly distrust him due to the violent speech i heard over the walls of the ASO offices.
at least he takes the time to be nice to my face, unlike joseph tolle, who took the time to scream at me when i told him to stop touching my arm.
the presence of the sheriffs at the meeting added a surreal martial law effect.
i made a report of tolle's screaming and touching of my shoulder. the incident will be passed to bradford, who will not respond to my emails.
i can also file criminal charges for battery, although the sheriff attempted to tell me that was not appropriate. i find this pretty funny that he thinks i don't understand the concept of battery.
anyway, who wants their student government in handcuffs?
that would just be too bizarre.
i will think about it.

No comments: